Pages

Friday, June 12, 2009

More photos and some stories.

Here's one of the first pictures I took in Rome. Just down the street from our hotel, a somewhat typical street scene of Rome - old buildings, newer buildings, small cars parked wherever.


Speaking of firsts, the first food I had was a spinich and ricotta pizza from "Pizza Rustica" that was soooo wonderfully delicious. I don't think anything else I had all week matched the deliciousness of that pizza. Or maybe I was just really hungry upon arrival.

The first full day of sight-seeing included most of the famous old Roman landmarks.

We started the day early and arrived at the Spanish Steps first thing.
*Note the lack of tourist crowds on the steps.



Here we are at the Pantheon. It still looks very similar to the day it was built. The least destroyed building of ancient Rome.
*Note the small crowd of tourists meandering near the edifice.


Another stop included the Trevi Fountain. So I know you don't really see the fountain in this picture, but I took it to sneak a picture of Ryan and his cousin and show it's popularity.
*Note the large crowd of tourists packed into this piazza.


That evening we walked to THE spot for photos of the Colosseum. Actual visit came a couple days later.



Day 2: Free day at the Vatican Museum. We waited in line with tons more tourists. This was a crazy day!


Here's Rome from a window on the top floor of the Vatican Museum

Day 3: Colosseum and Roman Forum in the rain.
Our Christmas card: "Wish you were here". Haha - we were drenched!

I like the big screen.


The last day we visited the home church of Catholicism. The churches were all so big, grand and detailed.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ok... I'm going to pretend I'm not insanely jealous right now. ;) I'm glad you guys had fun... it looks so gorgeous!