
There has been some beautiful squash blooms in the garden this week. I hope some delicious zucchini and acorn squash follow.
The West bed with it's squash and tomatoes. Lots of green tomatoes and one almost red one. Neither my husband or I actually like raw tomatoes, so I hope they ripen all at once and I'll make some fresh salsa, Yum!

The cucumber plant has vined all up and around the trellis, with some guidance. Lots of blooms on it, too. I'm not quite sure what to look for as far as cucumber starts, but I suppose I'll learn as long as some grow.
The parsley in front of the cucumber is flourishing, as are all of the herbs. It's definitely time for me to 'harvest' some for drying and storing. That is something I still know little about. Here's some basil haphazardly drying in the kitchen.
I also have rosemary, thyme, oregano and chives. Does anyone have recommendations for a good website or blog post about drying and storing herbs?

Click below for more garden inspiration:


5 comments:
Your garden looks wonderful! I grow a lot of herbs too. I like this site for an overview of different ways to preserve herbs - http://www.pantrygardenherbs.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.showpage/pageID/12/index.htm
Here's a fun way to dry herbs....in your car!
http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/use-your-parked-car-for-something-useful----drying-herbs.html
Your garden looks great! Little baby cukes will emerge from where the flowers are now, and will just get bigger until they are ripe and ready to pick. I have dried herbs in my food dehydrator, but another way to store basil is to pick it, strip the leaves off the stems, and then put them in a labeled plastic zip bag in the freezer. They will not look nicely green as they do fresh, but they taste great and work well in cooked dishes.
I usually dry herbs in a food dryer, but hanging works well, too, if you've got the space for it. :-)
Enjoy your garden and thanks for sharing at the TGP!
Wow Athena, you weren't kidding. Yesterday I all of a sudden noticed 3-4 little baby cukes growing. Yay!
Thanks all for the herb drying resources! I think I have a bit of improvment that can be made over the current random screw in the kitchen cabinets. :)
Post a Comment