Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

On Books

I'm currently reading Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt.  It is an inspiring book of one woman's opinion about children and books.  She includes various thoughts on why to read and what to read, with an extensive book list in the back (that I have not yet come to).

Inspired by another blogger, I've been thinking about reading aloud more picture books and even chapter books to Caleb now and as he grows.  Honey for a Child's Heart also promotes the idea, with much emphasis on reading good books.  Many of the books recommended are classics that I also would like to read for the first time or re-read.

So here begins my book list.  First current favorite pictures books to remember for future kids or to recommend to others.  Then my list to-read aloud to kids, which will probably be quite extensive and require some future selecting and narrowing.

Our Favorites
The To-Read List
All classics are the original writing
  • A Hole is to Dig
  • The Story of Babar
  • Caps for Sale - one of my childhood memories
  • Hand Rhmyes
  • Lois Ehlert 
  • In the Small, Small Pond
  • In the Tall, Tall Grass
  • Where Once There Was a Wood 
  • Make Way for Ducklings
  • The Mitten
  • The Jacket I wear in the Snow
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Little House on the Prairie series
  • Mr Popper's Penguins
  • The Secret Garden
  • The Jungle Book
  • The Courage of Sarah Noble
  • The Bears on Hemlock Mountain
  • Daniel Boone 
  • Ginger Pye
  • Black Beauty
  • The Railway Children
  • Charlotte's Web
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • Chronicles of Narnia
  • Pilgrim's Progress
  • Hans Christian Andersen
  • The Princess Bride - One of my faves because of the movie, but as usual, the book is better!
  • The Story of King Arthur and his Knights 
  • Chitty-Chitty, Bang-Bang
  • Paddle to the Sea
  • Sarah, Plain and Tall; Skylark; & Caleb
  • The King's Equal
  • The Boxcar Children
  • Swiss Family Robinson
  • Snow Children
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • Treasure Island 
  • Call of the Wild
  • Old Yeller
  • Where the Red Fern Grows
  • Patricia Mary St. John
...to be continued!
(Maybe I should have alphabetized this long list...)
 

1 comment:

Kelly M said...

I just checked out Honey for a Child's Heart from the library based on your post! What a great book. Thanks for the suggestion!