Pages

Monday, September 1, 2008

A Day in the Kitchen

Labor Day. Why exactly is it called Labor day when most take a break from their labor? (rhetorical question) I remember having a quite confusing conversation about this once over dinner in college. I had planned to get some free Chik-fil-a, but plans changed last night after reading La Cucina Italiana and found some recipes to try. With a day off, I had the time today and thought I'd try my hand at a couple recipes.


Enjoying my camera as I do, I also documented my day in the kitchen.

And it was just about a whole day. When I thought the bread recipe would be fun, I failed to notice all the kneading, transferring,resting and rising the dough required.
A photo of the second kneading session.


It was still fun. It made the house smell wonderful. There's something about yeast, flour and cinnamon that I seemed to really like.






The finished product. Maybe all the kneading and resting took all the 'lift' out of the bread. This doesn't quite look like the picture in the magazine. Then again, does it ever? This bread was made with ricotta cheese and cinnamon. It has a good flavor, just wish it wasn't so dense and crusty.



For lunch I made

pasta al ragu di funghi from the magazine. Not normally a fan of mushrooms, this just hit the spot.






Here's a secret, I ate my very Italian meal with an American Dr. Pepper.:)


For supper, I made one of my all-time favorites, Spanish Tortilla. Simple to make, simple flavor - oil, potatoes, onions and eggs. Mmm.



The day in the kitchen still isn't over. I found this blog about a woman using her Crockpot everyday this year. I've come to realize this could

be a very practical thing for me to prepare a meal in the morning, let it cook all day while I'm at work and have it ready to eat when I get home around 6:15. She shares a good variety of meals. So one of the first dishes I decided to try is a breakfast casserole. Rather than dinner, I told Ryan it would be ready for breakfast when he gets home tomorrow morning. I'll take it for lunch at work.


2 comments:

BobBetsy said...

Same reason Americans park on their driveways and drive on their parkways. :)

BobBetsy said...

Oh, and the food looks great!