Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The One Where I use Recipes to Cook.

Random thought: How long do you think I could have post titles similar to Friends episodes. You know, "The One Where..." Guess we'll see.

Back to the recipe thing. I do use recipes to cook. I need something to tell me what to do. There are very few dishes I have invented or changed significantly enough to claim as my own. Sometimes I adjust - like leaving out the mushrooms or using hamburger instead of italian sausage. Not significant.
I would like to share more recipes with my menu plans but I'm concerned about copyrights - as the recipes are always published somewhere. I include links when available, but for others, readers are just left in the dark.

But finally... welcome to the light. I have a recipe I feel comfortable sharing. And I'm really excited! (I've been anticipating this since Monday.) It is one of my favorites, great as leftovers and so easy to make. Even people who don't know how to make toast can make this! My family used to call these North High Volleyball Sloppy Joes. The recipe came on a blue (or maybe it was green) 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper containing instructions for my Volleyball tournament concessions. All the freshmen and sophomores had to make the same Sloppy Joe meat. This is it.

Sloppy Joes
1 - 1.5 pounds ground beef
1/2 onion, diced
1/4 green pepper, diced
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup ketchup
1 tbsp yellow mustard (or more if you like it as much as I do)
1 tsp chili powder

Brown meat with onions, green pepper, salt and pepper. Drain, rinse with hot water desired. Return to pan and stir in remaining ingredients. Heat through. Serve on toasted buns.
Or have it Ryan's way - scoop the meat with Wavy Lays.

This also warms great in a crock-pot ~ perfect for potlucks, football parties or Christmas Eve at camp.
Enjoy!

5 comments:

BobBetsy said...

You makin me hungry!

Mike Janssen said...

Ah, yes ... Laura and I made these a few weeks ago and they were a big hit. We bought ingredients for another batch of them the other day, and I have been craving them since (but we haven't made them yet ... sadness).

Unknown said...

I just have to say how happy I am that you're using the, "The one where..." Love it. :)

Jon Thompson said...

Quite Yummy. I'll add some fresh jalapeƱo to the mix the next time I have it. I was out this time, since I used two for supper last night.

Sarah said...

Ooh, jalapeno sounds good. You must like things with a little kick.