Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Garden Goodness

I'm dreaming of a full green, luscious, abundant garden.

I know that generally happens in the fall, but given the current state of my semi-pathetic garden, I'm not sure my dreams will come true this year.
See those abundant lettuce plants... or not. I planted two full squares of lettuce and those two little leaves are all I have to show for it so far. There are a few more sprouts; we'll see how they do.
Only 4 of 12 peas came up - so it will be a little thin on that end to0.
The large open area on the left is for the zucchini. I've been hoping to plant the squash and bean for the past two weeks, but it has been so wet here. This weekend, no matter what, I'm getting them the garden, rain or shine!


One of the benefits of Square Foot Gardening often mentioned is no weeds. That is, of course if you use the special soil mix, which I didn't. But I'm pretty sure that even if I did, I would still be pulling little maple trees every year. Tons of whirly-twirlies (or whatever they are called) land in the two garden beds and take root.


Now on to some serious, and interactive matters. Any idea why there are holes in the basil and spinach? In the basil, seems like it starts with the little black marks as seen on marked leaves.
The next step is to check Google and see what I can learn.




Click below for some more garden inspiration:

6 comments:

Heather said...

I'd love to hear what you discovered regarding your holey leaves.

It can be discouraging when the seedlings don't come up... do you have more seed that you will try? It is not too late for your lush green dream:)
(on jami's garden party tour)

Ott, A. said...

My beans are coming up slowly too. Don't get discouraged sometimes it takes awhile for them to take off. Hope you can stop by my blog and take a look. Happy gardening!!!

Jami @ An Oregon Cottage said...

Looks like a worm or beetle- probably happening at night. Try to identify it and then find a product for it (I've used diatomaceous earth for worms, slugs, and caterpillars and neem oil for beetles). Sorry- that's frustrating! Don't give up on your garden- just keep plugging away and it will take off eventually!

Thanks for linking to the Tuesday Garden Party!

Sarah said...

Thanks for all of the encouragement and ideas! I'm definitely not ready to give up... just still learning as I go.
I do have more seeds to plant when it finally stops raining. The pea and lettuce seeds were from last year, I wonder if that had any impact.
I didn't even think the bugs/worms could be only at night. I will try to keep an eye out for that.

Sandy said...

Your garden will get more lush as the season continues. I know we are in a different zone, but we haven't even planted in our square foot garden yet! Yikes! I have put peas. mint, & atomato plant in a container though. We loved our square foot garden last year due to the very little weeding aspect. So nice!

~TastyTravels~ said...

Keep at it! Once the weather heats up, your garden will flourish! I tried the square foot gardening idea on one of my raised beds this year. We'll see how it does!