Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Vegetable Adventures: Broccoli!

After feeling a bit bummed last week... nature did it's thing (sun and water) and my excitement for this garden is totally revived! I was able to plant the beans and a cucumber that already had a few blooms on it. Going to try to train the cuke up the fence. I've read it can be done, so I'm willing to try but my husband had his doubts. I reminded him that this garden continues to be a learning expirament, and if it doesn't work, we'll do it different next year.

The broccoli is starting to bloom (is that the right term? Broccoli blooms?? or is it bud?)

And there's a pea flower! Haha, not sure if that's actually what those are called but I like the sound of it. So that's what I'm going to call it.




Click below for more garden inspiration:

7 comments:

Jenny said...

Looks great. Our first head of broccoli will be ready soon and I have several more about the size of yours. Can't wait to cook some up.

Susan said...

I'd love to be able to grow broccoli. Yours looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

Glad to hear you and your garden are getting a second wind. Did you get anymore seed in? I have been putting mine in this week trying to take advantage of the rain. Thanks for sharing.

visiting from Jami's garden party

Ott, A. said...

Thanks for stopping by for Latte' on your garden party Tuesday Tour. The Broccoli looks great.

StrivingSimply said...

I don't know if it works for cucumbers, but my mom says you can grow cantaloupes up a fence. You tie the fruits up with nylons when they get big so they don't rip off. I love the sweet pea flowers. If I weren't trying to harvest food, I'd cut them for bouquets!

Jami @ An Oregon Cottage said...

I'm glad you're encouraged again to garden. That is the life of a gardener, ups and downs.

I grow cukes on a trellis. it's just a matter of tying them up as they grow. I just use the velcro plant tape and it's pretty easy. The nice thing is the cukes are nice and straight and not so dirty.

Thanks for linking up to the Garden Party!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the tips on growing the cukes vertically. I just assumed they would do it on their own and hope they didn't get too heavy. So thanks for telling me about the nylons and tape! :)