Yesterday, Ryan and I took Caleb to the Family Aquatic Center. I am so thankful we have a water baby who loves to swim as much as I do. The Little Man had a great time! So did Ryan and I. There is a fun family slide that Caleb was able to go down with us. The look on his face was unforgettable. A mix of slight terror, fun and "why in the world am I going this fast into a pool of water." Of course, since we adults still like our own fun, we took turns down the other individual slides. Then I wanted to go off the diving board.
Being the only person over 5 feet in line was a little awkward. Confirmed by the little girl who just had to clarify, "Are you in line for the diving board?" Why, do you think I shouldn't be?
Well, I proceeded to get on the board and make a casual dive. Which was apparently a little too casual when my feet flung back toward my head as I hit the water and did quite the twist on my back. This is where the 'old people' thought set in. Only old people can hurt their back that bad from doing a simple dive off a diving board, right? I wanted to go again to do it better, but the awkwardness mixed with pain convinced me to stick to shuttling my little water baby around the pool.
Later that night, still trying to make it easy on my back I expressed to Ryan the dive really hurt my back. My ever so compassionate husband responded, "I told you, you should have gone down the slide." Um, thanks for comforting your poor, hurting wife. (Actually I laughed and said "Thanks for the I-told-you-so compassion.")
Moral: Old people need more practice before attempting 'casual' dives off diving boards.
1 comment:
What fun to hear of your (slightly embarrassing) adventure!
Post a Comment