Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I'm a Pig

One of the great things about living in a city this size is the library.  Topeka Shawnee County Public Library is wonderful.  Of course, there are the books.  Lots of books.  Ninety five percent of the books I read are checked out from the library.  And many of those from the Hold Room.  Such a wonderful idea.  I can request a book online, someone will pull it off the shelf and stick it in this little room with my name on it.  When I stop by the library I head straight to that little room, that even has a self-check out right by the door so I don't have to wait in line at the main desk. TSCPL also loans a large selection of DVDs, hosts a variety of programs, and has meeting space used by a variety of outside organizations.

And then there is the kids area... oh the lovey kids area.  Picture books, videos, computers, play areas, tropical fish, Legos, galore.  The other day, Caleb didn't take a long enough nap (I know this because he woke up tired).  I was wondering how we both were going to make it through the evening. Noticing I had a few books to exchange, I thought the library might provide a good distraction.  Later, I told Ryan it was "a brilliant idea".  My plan was to wander through the adult stacks collecting books of interest until Caleb had enough, then go to one of the play areas and let Caleb "wander" - or sit and watch the other kids.  He totally enjoyed it; we were there for an hour!  Woo-hoo.  One hour of a potentially fussy evening passed with a happy, content baby.

While in the children's area I also picked up a few books to read to Caleb.  One of which I had checked out before.  I'm a Pig by Sarah Weeks is definitely my current favorite picture book from the library.
Such a clever rhyming story about a pig who is "as happy as a clam ... that I'm not a lion ... or a lamb" but is just happy to be a pig.  And he'll do a little jig if you call him a pig.

2 comments:

Kelly M said...

Oh we love the library too! I'm glad you started blogging again! Caleb is adorable!

Sarah said...

Well, Kelly... I guess this blogging thing is going back and forth. There are so many options of what to do with my time I can't decide. I think there will continue to be spurts.