Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Saturday Happenings

It's been a very enjoyable Saturday. The morning started early, at 7:30 when the dog needed out - started even earlier for Ryan when he went to work at 6am. An early morning thunderstorm lingered until about 9am. I saw some pretty awesome lightening bolts while running errands. The remainder of the morning was lazy yet productive as the clouds cleared. I did take some time to dig up iris from where the vegetable garden will be, and learned that clay is hard to dig, even when wet. I may just have to rent or invest in some sort of tiller.

This afternoon I took my Little Sister to Heartland Park for some drag racing, courtesy of Big Brothers Big Sisters. She loves cars and I was actually surprised to learn she hadn't ever been there. I, of course, hadn't either. It was quite a bit more interesting than I thought it would be. (Can you see those two dragsters taking-off?) Oh, and that little blue umbrella - er, parasol - in the photo, a very important thing. Even though it teeters on being too frilly for racing, I'm sure those people look a little less pink that I do right now! Take note, sunscreen does work but only in the places one actually applies it. I have some splotchy legs and arms right now.


Back at home this evening I kept the house warm by baking. Right, it is in fact August and the house does not need to be kept warm but some friends gave us a bunch of apples from one of their four trees.
Ryan requested apple pie. So I got to work. First turned on the now infamous bread machine to make some bread for me. Then made the pie crust from scratch.
I'm not so good at peeling apples, but alas it had to be done. Thankfully, Camden was right there so when I cut too much apple with the peel, I just gave it a toss and it didn't go to waste!

That's right! I make square pies because I do not have a round pie dish. And... that piece... was de-li-cious!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Max Cool! Love the humor.