- More plants in pots in the sun ~ Our yard is quite shaded and is the kingdom of a 70 pound dog. We have a few spots that get more sun than the current beds but they are not protected from the dog. The best alternative for sun is in a pot, outside the yard fence in our drive way. I would like to be able to use the lovey rasied beds for everything... but it seems the more I put in the pots, the more veggies I will reap.
- Use more compost ~ Realized lots of grass clippings in the compost pile is a good thing. I do throw most all of my produce 'trash' in it also.
- Get plants from the Farmer's Market & local growers ~ the tomato plant we bought at the Farmer's market has 10 little green tomatoes, the four from the garden store only have one each. They are different varieties, but I'm thinking the local grower may have a better idea of the right variety for our climate.
- Use new seeds or plant starts ~ thinking this especially for the lettuce. We would LOVE to have TONS of lettuce but didn't get any this year with second year seeds, of which only 50% sprouted. Then 100% of that 50% didn't grow well at all.
- Keep the herbs ~ my complete success story is the herbs! Love them! I like to go out and pick some for dinner every day. And I plan to learn more about drying and storing yet for this year.

PS. Sorry for the photoless (possibly boring) post.
No comments:
Post a Comment