Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Vegetable Adventures: Sun

Thoughts of this week:
It seems to me that a professional gardeners plot would not be so shaded at 5:30pm on a summer day. This is my plight. It's our second year of gardening and more than that of owning this house. We didn't buy the house for it's 'garden-able' yard - in fact it was all the shade that we liked. At the time I didn't foresee a veggie garden in our future. But now I'm definitely hooked and looking forward to more land and sun.

This photo isn't the clearest, but it's a good view of the garden overall... including accessories (named Camden). I know there is so much more I could do to make this more abundant, and sometimes I wish I put for the effort. But for now, I'm just working with the time, sun, soil, and chicken wire/snow fence I have.

On a more encouraging note, things in pots are doing well.
(Yes, I purposely put the green pepper in a pot because it's my favorite.)

And this first year with herbs is a huge success. I enjoy that when cooking I can just step outside and pick the needed herbs! Sunday I harvested some basil and rosemary and hung to dry.



Click below for more garden inspiration:

3 comments:

Susan said...

I love having my herbs outside my kitchen window! Fresh herbs make our meals so much more tasty.

Thanks for sharing!

Melinda said...

Fencing will always be a issue for me too - I went to snow fence this year - ugly but so far it's working to keep the critters out. I think you're off to a great start!

Jami@ An Oregon Cottage said...

That happened to me, too, when we bought our first house- the vegetable gardening bug hit at about year four and I maxed out the land. Then I just dreamed of more land. :-)

Good for you for working with what you've got! And thanks for sharing at the Tuesday Garden Party!